Song Selection

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thou Shall Not...

Dad made some noise about me cutting my finger nails at night. He heard the click of the nail cutter from my room which I had shut the door. You know it’s almost like I do not have a choice. How could I be cutting nails during working hours or even lunch time? It so happens I realize I need to cut my nails on a weekday.

I don’t buy most pantangs and it started for reasons applicable maybe during when JWW Birch was alive. You might end up cutting your flesh in the dark and so they created a pantang to avoid such mishaps. What else? Anak dara’s are not allowed to sing in the kitchen cos they will end up marrying an old man. At least you could still sing in the shower, as far as I know. However, I would abide to one pantang in particular…

After Timmy got involved with an accident, we had a party at his home and he required the assistance of crutches. Lyn and I were curious about how it felt like walking with crutches and so we played with it. The rest we’re freaking out about a so call pantang that says you should not play with crutches. Honestly, I didn’t know such thing existed and anyway what’s the big deal? We were playing with it for a very very short while.

The next weekend, we had a netball tournament and Lyn and I were in the same team, Team Bumble Bee. We were in the Youth Ministry back then and we organised a friendly match comprising of guys and girls per team. It was supposed to be a FRIENDLY match but I guess when you play with guys, they think they are in a football match and they’re not used to the 3 feet-distance contact that we have been trained for. My position as Goal Defence (GD) required me to guard the Goal Attacker (GA) which happened to be a former school footballer, just my luck! At the end, I don’t know how Lyn ended up injuring herself cos I was busy sitting at the bench trying to figure out why my toe was pointing upwards.

After an x-ray, I ended up with a dislocated toe with injuries to the tissue and my once injured ankle started to swell again. It does not help when you follow Grey’s Anatomy and have seen Dr. Callie Torres place back bones into its place. Yup, it’s painful! So, after my ordeal, I checked on Lyn who ended up tearing some ankle tissue and guess what? We were both advised to use crutches. Naturally, my mind went back to the night we were goofing around with crutches.

Even with pain killers, I couldn’t sleep as I tossed and turned trying to fall sleep while my whole foot throbbed in pain and then to top it off, as I was making my way to the loo in the dark, I kicked on a hard suitcase. Ironically, it was Lyn’s suitcase. I cursed… And then of course the “I told you so” came and going to office required me to walk about 200 metres from the car park and up flights of staircase. The building is not handicap friendly with lifts.

It is not the worst pain I’ve been through but it was still painful. So, as much as I don’t give 2 hoots about most pantangs, I will not take any chances with crutches which means I will still be cutting my nails at night and I will still sing in the kitchen. I will however not scream in the jungle or flash lights onto trees at night and I will still knock on my hotel room before I enter… I’m choosy.

No comments: