I finally decided to try out one of the classes available at the Exhale Studio nearby my office. Exhale Studio offers a number of programmes like Pilates, various types of yoga including yogalates (pretty sure it's yoga and pilates combined), jazzercise and aerobics.
The available class yesterday was pilates and I've never done it in my life or if I actually saw someone did it, I wouldn't know it was pilates. In my mind, I thought it was probably similar to yoga but maybe it had a distinctive feature about it. As I entered the studio, I was pretty impressed with the set up, nice lighting, very clean and the toilet had pebbled flooring. It had 3 classrooms with wooden panel flooring. I was greeted by the pilates instructor herself. Her name is Heike, probably a European and obviously she was toned and fit.
I got changed, took the exercise mat available and took my position. Heike asked if I had done pilates and I responded no. "Aha, what about any other exercises?" she asked. I told her that I've only done yoga while watching the DVD (more like downloaded) and I'm just merely following but my technique is not superb and it's difficult to comprehend exhale and inhale while watching, listening (since it's pirated, the sound quality wasn't too good), moving and trying to breathe the right way. She was happy with that little experience I had.
As we got started, she explained how yoga and pilates were different. Apparently, in yoga you inhale and exhale through your nose while pilates, you inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. I already learned something! So we got down to business and I'm not going to actually elaborate on the whole exercise but I found that pilates uses the strength of your abs very much and suitable for those who are looking to have a toned tummy. Although it doesn't look like some hard core, iron lifting fast moving exercise, it did require strength.
I pretty much enjoyed it and although I sweated, I also found it relaxing. Unlike capoeira, I didn't feel like my heart or my lungs was going to explode and I didn't complete class feeling like I was gonna collapse or I needed a break to have the strength to walk to my car and drive back. For a change I found it really pleasant and maybe it's time to slow down and find something relaxing. I personally feel that pilates doesn't require much stamina, it doesn't seem to be the focus. The plus point too is that I didn't have to go through a jam to get to class, yeay!
Anyway, I've decided to sign up for the 3 months package programme and I'm looking forward to the power yoga class this Saturday. I thought I'll try out the various yoga programme available and continue with pilates until I find one that I like most and focus more on that.
The available class yesterday was pilates and I've never done it in my life or if I actually saw someone did it, I wouldn't know it was pilates. In my mind, I thought it was probably similar to yoga but maybe it had a distinctive feature about it. As I entered the studio, I was pretty impressed with the set up, nice lighting, very clean and the toilet had pebbled flooring. It had 3 classrooms with wooden panel flooring. I was greeted by the pilates instructor herself. Her name is Heike, probably a European and obviously she was toned and fit.
I got changed, took the exercise mat available and took my position. Heike asked if I had done pilates and I responded no. "Aha, what about any other exercises?" she asked. I told her that I've only done yoga while watching the DVD (more like downloaded) and I'm just merely following but my technique is not superb and it's difficult to comprehend exhale and inhale while watching, listening (since it's pirated, the sound quality wasn't too good), moving and trying to breathe the right way. She was happy with that little experience I had.
As we got started, she explained how yoga and pilates were different. Apparently, in yoga you inhale and exhale through your nose while pilates, you inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. I already learned something! So we got down to business and I'm not going to actually elaborate on the whole exercise but I found that pilates uses the strength of your abs very much and suitable for those who are looking to have a toned tummy. Although it doesn't look like some hard core, iron lifting fast moving exercise, it did require strength.
I pretty much enjoyed it and although I sweated, I also found it relaxing. Unlike capoeira, I didn't feel like my heart or my lungs was going to explode and I didn't complete class feeling like I was gonna collapse or I needed a break to have the strength to walk to my car and drive back. For a change I found it really pleasant and maybe it's time to slow down and find something relaxing. I personally feel that pilates doesn't require much stamina, it doesn't seem to be the focus. The plus point too is that I didn't have to go through a jam to get to class, yeay!
Anyway, I've decided to sign up for the 3 months package programme and I'm looking forward to the power yoga class this Saturday. I thought I'll try out the various yoga programme available and continue with pilates until I find one that I like most and focus more on that.

No comments:
Post a Comment