I recently met up with a friend and we're just talking about the good ol times when he started complaining about his nieces. All I could think was the time I went to a party hosted by his family and my eyes almost popped out watching his 8 and 10 year old nieces dancing too sensually to a number. No girl I know would have danced that way. I mean we're talking about slow striptease moves *hands move from down to up... to... hair* kinda thing. To top it all, they had make up on.
I couldn't help but blame Beyonce for it. I looked away feeling rather uncomfortable while their mother looked not saying anything. In no way, am I in a position to judge one's parenting skill cos I am not a mother but... seriously... The elder girl is already 13 and my friend complains about how low her neckline is and how high her hemline is and he is disturbed by the fact that she and company dances or rather imitate Beyonce and that her (his niece) 13 year old friend tried to hit on him. It's pretty fair for him to be concerned.
I was borned under the Echo Boomers Generation or known as the MTV Generation and yeah, I remember watching a lot of Debbie Gibson, NKOTB and Michael Jackson and that dude Tommy Page. Now, the music of the same genre and its videos have become all so sexual and naked and it's very much idolised by young teen girls. I was a teenage girl, I know what is it like and why a girl idolises another female who's "all that". I remember wanting abs like the TLC girls after watching their video Creep but I also admired Gwen Stefani's originality as a woman when she was in No Doubt. I always loved funkiness, a little bit of grunge and never one to follow every trend that comes.
I grew out of idolising women in such way. I admit I wish to have more curves now like Beyonce or J.Lo but it's just a figure of speech, I just prefer to gain more weight since I'm underweight. But really, while idolising "hot" women, I 've also admired the elegant and classy women. Like? My dad's crush, Audrey Hepburn. Just look at her sing Moon River by the window in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Stunning! Even at an older age, she still had such grace, not botoxed, plasticised or enhanced or whatsoever... just herself. She always had a clean unscandaled reputation.
I've admired how my eldest cousin raised her kids and in particular how well behaved and full of character her 5 year old daughter is. I realised that a girl's self-esteem is so important for her not to be so caught up with the glamour world. I believe one who's confident and has a high self-esteem would not be too pressured in being someone else but themselves. She would think, "Beyonce is Beyonce and I am ME". So, I have made a mental note to work on my kid's self-esteem... when I have kids. Do you catch yourself doing mental notes like that?
A girl is always too skinny, too fat, too short too whatever. She's always highly critical of herself. But I think, it's so important to appreciate self-worth and focus on other appealing features as a person. If we found it so hard to realise that, let's not allow the same for the kids we're gonna have. They're never too young to educate. A girl's gotta know the right time she should start wearing make up. When she realises it's not make up that would make her feel pretty or good or better and that she can feel the same without it.
The classic saying goes... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". It doesn't necessarily mean, good physical genes or how you could pop your booty. It's many things...
I couldn't help but blame Beyonce for it. I looked away feeling rather uncomfortable while their mother looked not saying anything. In no way, am I in a position to judge one's parenting skill cos I am not a mother but... seriously... The elder girl is already 13 and my friend complains about how low her neckline is and how high her hemline is and he is disturbed by the fact that she and company dances or rather imitate Beyonce and that her (his niece) 13 year old friend tried to hit on him. It's pretty fair for him to be concerned.
I was borned under the Echo Boomers Generation or known as the MTV Generation and yeah, I remember watching a lot of Debbie Gibson, NKOTB and Michael Jackson and that dude Tommy Page. Now, the music of the same genre and its videos have become all so sexual and naked and it's very much idolised by young teen girls. I was a teenage girl, I know what is it like and why a girl idolises another female who's "all that". I remember wanting abs like the TLC girls after watching their video Creep but I also admired Gwen Stefani's originality as a woman when she was in No Doubt. I always loved funkiness, a little bit of grunge and never one to follow every trend that comes.
I grew out of idolising women in such way. I admit I wish to have more curves now like Beyonce or J.Lo but it's just a figure of speech, I just prefer to gain more weight since I'm underweight. But really, while idolising "hot" women, I 've also admired the elegant and classy women. Like? My dad's crush, Audrey Hepburn. Just look at her sing Moon River by the window in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Stunning! Even at an older age, she still had such grace, not botoxed, plasticised or enhanced or whatsoever... just herself. She always had a clean unscandaled reputation.
I've admired how my eldest cousin raised her kids and in particular how well behaved and full of character her 5 year old daughter is. I realised that a girl's self-esteem is so important for her not to be so caught up with the glamour world. I believe one who's confident and has a high self-esteem would not be too pressured in being someone else but themselves. She would think, "Beyonce is Beyonce and I am ME". So, I have made a mental note to work on my kid's self-esteem... when I have kids. Do you catch yourself doing mental notes like that?
A girl is always too skinny, too fat, too short too whatever. She's always highly critical of herself. But I think, it's so important to appreciate self-worth and focus on other appealing features as a person. If we found it so hard to realise that, let's not allow the same for the kids we're gonna have. They're never too young to educate. A girl's gotta know the right time she should start wearing make up. When she realises it's not make up that would make her feel pretty or good or better and that she can feel the same without it.
The classic saying goes... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". It doesn't necessarily mean, good physical genes or how you could pop your booty. It's many things...

No comments:
Post a Comment